Cooling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling

So I got a new case and it only has 2 fans on it and it seems to heat up a lot. Should I get water cooling for my cpu? I have http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/...hyper-212-evo/ right now but would water cooling help over this?

Shout out to my PMS! PMS Snowbunnie!

No, cause you're always on Fire!

Former Division Leader, but I like the sig too much to change it.

Comment

What case? What are the specs of what's inside?
      The Hyper 212 is a very capable cooler, so unless it was mounted wrong or the plate is not receiving the needed pressure between plate and IHS, I'd say something is wrong.
      <3 my PMS girl Archeai

Comment

If your case can only support two fans and your computer is still overheating then yes I would get a liquid cooling kit. I would also change out any dust filters you might have and make sure you use a can of air on your mother board. You never know what little pieces of dust can be stuck in there causing a large heating issue.

If you do go with a liquid cooling system, just make sure that it is compatible with what you have. (Quick tip: While installing liquid cooling systems, it never hurts to buy a little extra thermal paste.)

Comment

I thought liquid cooling systems weren't super great - that the water you used to 'cool' your system with would warm up, then you are trying to 'cool' your system with hot water? I'm not terribly familiar with liquid cooling systems, so if this is just a myth, I apologize!

H2O Mexican - is your computer heating up to the point where it is turning off or crashing? Are there any performance issues that you are experiencing?
          When my brother got a Dell out of the box, he had a lot of heat/crashing issues. Turns out the stupid thing was set to use the internal graphics instead of the graphics card he had bought. It was a huge improvement when he changed the configuration. Just a thought in case the extra heat might just be a stress on a card that really should be going somewhere else?

XBL: phelixia pms ∙ Battle.net: Phelixia25 #1873
          Rabbit PMS ∙ Deuces H2O ∙ PMS Sireniix ∙ SammichMakr PMS

Comment

Actually they are quite effective. They use water-to-air heat exchangers to take heat out of the water before the water goes back to the CPU. Aslo, they don't always use water. I believe you can use mineral oil as well. The cool thing about that is that mineral oil doesn't conduct electricity at all. So, if you wanted to, you could put your whole pc in a fish tank filled with mineral oil and you would never have to worry about heat problems again lol.

Comment

Liquid cooling systems are great at what they do...cooling the components that they are connected to. For example, in my previous build, I used Corsair's closed-loop H50 to cool my CPU. Yes, I had cool CPU temps. However, despite having case fans in the front and back of the case, many other components had higher temps, Northbridge, video card, etc. This was for a non overclocked i7-920.

Fast forward to the computer I just happened to build last weekend, where I've got an overclocked i5-6600k, 8GB video card and 16GB of ram. This time I opted for air cooling (a Noctura which is a BEAST of a cooler...two sets of fins and two cooling fans). I was streaming last night at 1080p60fps and my CPU temp never crested above 35 degrees C. What's more is that the rest of the case stayed cool as not a single component went above 40C. Having those extra internal fans can really help air flow inside the case, especially if you have good cable management (see video link here - https://twitter.com/BasiliskH2O/stat...57931412946944).

In my opinion, liquid cooling is only worth it if you liquid cool EVERYTHING, which can be really costly and unnecessary unless you are entering overclocking competitions (or you won the lotto and have money to blow on building the best/fastest/most expensive comp you can). But again, that is just IMHO.

sigpic

Please follow on Twitter at @BasiliskH2O

Comment

The only thing that you have to worry about with the air cooling systems is the PC killer known as "DUST". However, a dust filter and a once a month, canned air cleaning should do the trick. Though, I'd just really want to see a really cool fish tank mineral oil computer build lol.

Comment

Originally posted by BASILisk H2O View Post
                  Liquid cooling systems are great at what they do...cooling the components that they are connected to. For example, in my previous build, I used Corsair's closed-loop H50 to cool my CPU. Yes, I had cool CPU temps. However, despite having case fans in the front and back of the case, many other components had higher temps, Northbridge, video card, etc. This was for a non overclocked i7-920.

Fast forward to the computer I just happened to build last weekend, where I've got an overclocked i5-6600k, 8GB video card and 16GB of ram. This time I opted for air cooling (a Noctura which is a BEAST of a cooler...two sets of fins and two cooling fans). I was streaming last night at 1080p60fps and my CPU temp never crested above 35 degrees C. What's more is that the rest of the case stayed cool as not a single component went above 40C. Having those extra internal fans can really help air flow inside the case, especially if you have good cable management (see video link here - https://twitter.com/BasiliskH2O/stat...57931412946944).

In my opinion, liquid cooling is only worth it if you liquid cool EVERYTHING, which can be really costly and unnecessary unless you are entering overclocking competitions (or you won the lotto and have money to blow on building the best/fastest/most expensive comp you can). But again, that is just IMHO.
                  The issue with your heat issues originally is because you purchased an AIO unit that was not suitable for the cpu. If you want to go with an AIO, don't cheap out, spend the $100+ for an H110 or NZXT X61. EK also has a new line of AIO kits out that are expandable such as that as a real watercooling custom loop.

The benefit of going liquid cooling is that you can lower your temps to ambient temps.

Originally posted by orsino18 View Post
                  The only thing that you have to worry about with the air cooling systems is the PC killer known as "DUST". However, a dust filter and a once a month, canned air cleaning should do the trick. Though, I'd just really want to see a really cool fish tank mineral oil computer build lol.
                  As someone who has been through numerous custom loops and more recently moved to the sealed AIO units so as to not deal with the maintenance that is needed for real water cooling, dust is a killer for watercooling as well regardless if you go through custom loop or All-In-One. You need to keep the radiator fins clear of dust the same as if it were HSF fins.

And for typical computer maintenance, I highly recommend one of these.
                  http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-E.../dp/B001J4ZOAW

<3 my PMS girl Archeai

Comment

Originally posted by sobe View Post

The issue with your heat issues originally is because you purchased an AIO unit that was not suitable for the cpu. If you want to go with an AIO, don't cheap out, spend the $100+ for an H110 or NZXT X61. EK also has a new line of AIO kits out that are expandable such as that as a real watercooling custom loop.

My apologies...I should have said the H90...not the H50 slim cooler.

You are only reinforcing my point...if you're going to do water-cooling correctly, then you need to spend the money to get the right gear to do it correctly. Most people will never need that kind of cooling capabilities. A solid air cooler with a couple of case fans will typically more than suffice (in fact, Noctura's air cooler did better than even some liquid cooler's in various tests on tomshardware.com especially in some of their overclocking tests).

sigpic

Please follow on Twitter at @BasiliskH2O

Comment

Originally posted by BASILisk H2O View Post

My apologies...I should have said the H90...not the H50 slim cooler.

You are only reinforcing my point...if you're going to do water-cooling correctly, then you need to spend the money to get the right gear to do it correctly. Most people will never need that kind of cooling capabilities. A solid air cooler with a couple of case fans will typically more than suffice (in fact, Noctura's air cooler did better than even some liquid cooler's in various tests on tomshardware.com especially in some of their overclocking tests).
                      The issue with the Noctua D15 (I had one myself btw, great cooler), is that at $90, it is VERY close in price to the high end AIO units that blow the D15 away under load conditions. If you are spending that much and want the best temps, you can spend $10 more and get an H110i GT.

I am still an advocate for air cooling, but the pricing has gotten outrageous on these air cooling units.

We need to know what cpu he is running as well as his case though, because the Hyper212 is a very capable air cooler.
                      <3 my PMS girl Archeai

Comment

Working...
                      X