Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 Microtransactions, Yay or Nay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars Battlefront 2 Microtransactions, Yay or Nay?

Recently I've heard a lot about how the microtransactions were going to be for Battlefront 2. Most of which were pretty negative. I ended up not even attempting to get the game on launch because of all the bad rep it had accumulated. Although if anyone has been following it recently or has even got the game you'll probably know what I'm getting at. At launch, the microtransaction system was terrible - and still is in my opinion. As it stands their microtransactions system is one of the worst. EA's Community Team defended the controversial changes on Reddit by saying their intent to make users earn credits to unlock heroes was to give users a sense of "pride and accomplishment" after unlocking a hero. This led to many Reddit users becoming frustrated at the response, which generated more than 500,000 downvotes, making it the most downvoted comment in the site's history.

So here is the big issue - Loot boxes and the overall microtransactions.

When you think of loot boxes you probably think of Overwatch, where the microtransaction system is great. Its pretty fair to the players. You can either buy the loot boxes with real money or grind for them. Either way, it works well. The reason it works so well for Blizzard is that they didn't make it some ridiculous system where its "pay to win" per say. For Overwatch players that play casually and don't feel like throwing their wallet at the game, they can easily grind for a bit and earn loot boxes. The best part though is that all you can get is cosmetics. Nothing game-changing.

You may also look to Halo 5 when thinking of loot boxes. When Halo 5 launched they introduced Req Packs. These packs can be bought with real money, of course, but the grind to get them is very easy. Easy as in just play a few games and there you go, have at them reqs. The rate that you earn points to buy the reqs is great. spend an hour at the most playing mutiplayer and you will certainly have enough for the best req pack. The only time you really have to grind is when a limited req comes out. Like an HCS team pack, throwback pack (like memories of Reach), or a charity pack. All in all, I don't think Halo 5 is pay to win. After all the only game modes you can use the special weapons you get from reqs is in Warzone or Warzone Firefight. Plus when you die the weapons don't despawn so the enemy team can just pick them up. Truthfully, it seems pretty traitorous to me

Going back to the Battlefront 2 microtransaction system, the primary reason it is getting so much hate is that they introduced a loot box pay to win system that gives players substantial gameplay advantages through items purchased in-game with real money. Although all the items could also be purchased with in-game currency, players would on average have to grind for quite some. In other words, to unlock heroes you either have to A) throw your wallet at the game or B) spend up to 40 hours grinding to unlock one hero. However, thankfully some changes have been made. On launch, the most expensive heroes cost 60,000 credits per hero while others cost 40,000 credits per hero. Now they have cut it by 75% making the most expensive heroes 15,000 credits and others 10,000 credits. Making a total now of 10 hours of play time to unlock a single hero. In my opinion, I think these heroes should have been playable in multiplayer by default. If I'm going to drop $60 USD on a Star Wars game I would like to play as my favorite characters like Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader without having to get them by chance in a loot box or grinding for long periods of time. I've got other games I like to play too, ya know? But that's just me.

I think that the outcome of this will have a significant impact on the gaming industry. What do you all think?
    ~My Low-Key Siggy Shop is open! LINK~
    <3 My Sisters & H2O: Lightning | Shy Achvmnt | Kupo

I have no issue with lootboxes or the devs I don't like it when people don't get the whole picture, are ill-informed and blame devs when all they do is make/improve the game when actually companies like Ubisoft, EA, Activision, etc. have more power than the studio under them, publishers have the most power but the stockholders/stakeholders/board of directors actually are in control when they are concerned more about money than general happiness from the community unless they go bankrupt due to no lack of sales for every game they own which is next to impossible. CEOs aren't Gods, The board has basically absolute power over the company there is only so much the executives can do
    Take the iPhone X for example studies showed that it's parts in it are worth about $400 and it retails like $1000+ and yet people wait months for these

Comment

I'm not against microtransactions I just don't care for this particular scenario. I understand that the companies need to make money. With the way the gaming industry has been in recent years, the overall price of a game hasn't changed significantly. Back in the day games were made by fewer people. Take Doom for example, the original was made by like 10 people. Nowadays, games are created and maintained by dozens if not hundreds of people. With the rise of popularity of gaming as a whole, there came a point where more money needed to be made off of games. That's where microtransactions came into play. With microtransactions, companies will continue to make money for months from one single game. This way they can make a larger profit altogether and be able to add more to a game and pay their vast amount of employees. I think that goes without saying for the most part. I think microtransactions are just a norm now for companies to sustain themselves. With all that being said I'm ok with microtransactions and the companies using them, so long as they aren't going about it in a way like EA is doing with Battlefront 2. It just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

When it comes to people blaming the devs I understand why they do. What I don't like is the people taking it to the extreme and sending death threats. Now that needs to stop. All in all, you have a point. There are parts of the company that has more say than others. I think that's a given.

Comment

Without the Season pass/paid dlc thing slowly being phased out by devs micro transactions are the only way for them to continue improving the game unless people want ad pop ups on Xbox instead

Comment

lol I'd hate to be in a middle of a game and an add pop up... But then again that's how I feel with WW2. Get out of a game and it pops up like 5 times lol

Comment

Working...
          X